Prekmurska Gibanica with Cherry
Prekmurska Gibanica with Cherry
Recipe Details:This recipe is for a delicious layered Slovenian cake prekmurska gibanica that borrows its name from the region of Prekmurje, Slovenia. This delicious diabetes-friendly dessert will treat you to a unique bouquet of flavors, thanks the ingredients it contains, including apples, walnuts, cherries, poppy seeds, and cottage cheese.
- Apples (peeled, cored, & grated) – 1lb.
- Sweetener for apple filling – equivalent to ¾ cup of sugar
- Lemon juice for apple filling – 1 tbsp.
- Cinnamon for apple filling – 0.5 tsp.
- Dry breadcrumbs for apple filling – 0.5 cup
- Cottage cheese for sweet cheese filling – 1 lb.
- Low-fat sour cream for sweet cheese filling – 1.5 cup
- Vanilla extract for sweet cheese filling – 1 tsp.
- Sweetener for sweet cheese filling – equivalent of ¾ cup of sugar
- Cherries soaked in 4 tbsp. of rum for sweet cheese filling – 0.5 cup
- Rum for soaking cherries – 4 tbsp.
- Ground poppy seeds for poppy seed filling – 1¾ cup
- Hot milk for poppy seed filling – 0.5 cup
- Sweetener for poppy seed filling – equivalent of ¾ cup of sugar
- Ground walnuts for walnut filling – 1 lb.
- Sweetener for walnut filling – equivalent of ¾ cup of sugar
- Hot milk for walnut filling – 2 tbsp.
- Beaten eggs for sour cream topping – 2
- Sour cream for sour cream topping – 1.5 cup
- Sweetener for sour cream topping – equivalent of 2 tbsp. of sugar
- Filo dough for filo crust – 1 lb.
- Butter for filo crust (melted) – 1 stick
Recipe Directions:Step 1
Mix the ingredients for each of the fillings in separate bowls until they are spreadable and moist. Then set aside. After that, in another bowl, mix the sour cream topping ingredients and set aside as well.
Brush the bottom and sides of a 10” springform pan with melted butter. After that, put 2 sheets of filo dough in the bottom and up the sides of the springform pan, letting it overhang. We will cut off the overhanging sides later. Then, brush the sheet of filo dough with melted butter and lay down two more sheets of filo dough and brush them with melted butter as well.
Spread half of the poppy seed filling on the dough and lay two sheets of filo dough on top of the filling. After that, brush the dough with melted butter and spread half of the sweet cheese filling on top. Then, place two more sheets of filo dough on top. Butter those sheets of dough and spread half of the walnut filling on top. Put down two more sheets of filo dough, butter them as you did with other sheets of filo dough and spread with all of the apple filling.
Repeat the process by putting down another two sheets of filo dough, buttering them and spreading the remaining poppy seed filling on top. Continue the same way until you have spread on the remaining portion of the walnut filling.
Put down two sheets of filo dough and butter them. Put two last sheets of filo dough down and butter them. After that, cut off any hanging filo dough. Then, spread the sour cream topping over the Prekmurska Gibanica.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Place springform pan on a baking sheet. Using a long skewer, pierce the Prekmurska Gibanica all the way to the bottom in several places. Then bake until the top becomes golden brown. That may take about an hour. If the top becomes brown too fast, cover it with aluminum foil.
Let the cake cool a little, serve and enjoy!
(Store your Prekmurska Gibanica in a fridge, warm up to room temperature or warmer before serving.)
Do you have any questions about your diabetes condition or general questions about diabetes? You can now post those questions in DiabetesIQ Forum and have our diabetes experts answer your questions for FREE! Yes, there is absolutely no catch! - Registration only takes a few seconds and it's FREE. No credit card needed. You can ask any number of diabetes questions, all for FREE! Register today and join the conversation!